Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Nutritional Journey

ORIGINAL POSTING DATE JANUARY 18, 2010

You may or may not know that I have followed, and frequently recommend, the research and writings of Dr. Mark Hyman.  I received a blog from him today that kind of snapped me into focus, and I want to pass it along to you and invite you to participate in my journey.

A majority of the time (let’s say 80%), I follow Dr. Hyman’s nutritional recommendations as outlined in his book “Ultra-Metabolism.”  Minimal sugar, minimal flour, minimal trans-fats, minimal dairy, more whole fruits, more whole vegetables, more fresh herbs, more bio-available supplements, more organic meats, more gluten-free grains.  I have a personal history and a family history of inflammatory disorders, from digestive to cardio-vascular to metabolic, and so this anti-inflammatory approach to eating has served me very well.

Ah, but there’s always room for improvement.  I have always adored dairy products.  As my friend Paul is fond of saying, “Cheese… I could make a meal out of cheese!”  But there’s no doubt I could feel better with less of it in my system.  Lately, in fact, I’ve been acutely aware of digestive and sleep disturbances that deserve my attention.

When I received Dr. Hyman’s blog today, I announced to myself… and a couple of clients… that now is the time for me to knock out the dairy completely for two weeks.  See what happens, then see if I can tolerate bringing back organic unsweetened yogurt, which is a real staple food in my house.

No more cow’s-milk cheese on my homemade gluten-free-crust pizzas.  No more cheese on my sprouted-wheat-tortilla-wrapped enchiladas. (Are you rolling your eyes yet?)  No more cheese on my organic black bean chili.  No more cream in my Starbucks tall half-caff/half-decaf.  Here’s where we get into the 20% of the time that I eat “freestyle”… no more cheese grits.  No more once-in-a-blue-moon pub cheeseburgers.

Thanks to Ann from my Women on Weights class, who wisely reminded me to add some calories back in with some other healthy choices so I don’t get emaciated.  Welcome to my world!  I remember with such clarity what it was like to have trouble losing weight, that I forget my new problem is keeping weight on.  Which nobody cares to hear about, huh?  Either way, underweight or overweight, believe me, it’s a frustrating problem to be uncomfortable or unhealthy in your own skin.

If you are interested in learning more about how your unique genetics and “body chemistry” are affected by your food choices, I have a very interesting questionairre, used with permission from “Ultra-Metabolism.”  You may find it very enlightening.  It points out the tangible side effects you can really feel when your eating habits impact your health in seven key areas, among them toxicity, oxidation, inflammation, and metabolism.  Let me know if you’d like to schedule a session to review it together.

Here’s the link to Dr. Hyman’s blog to learn more about the research behind his assertion, in which he frequently cites another favorite doc of mine, Dr. Walter Willett of the Harvard School of Public Health:

http://analyticapproach.com/cgi-bin/et.cgi?nc=1262924186&li=27218&rk=24.53.20&ri=10790&ei=206.117106

No, I don’t receive a commission from Dr. Hyman.  We have shared clients/patients and respect each other’s work.

And if you care to join me in this endeavor, I’d really appreciate your feedback at the outset and along the way!  :-)

Be Well!

No comments:

Post a Comment